Our historical roots
In its current form, VTG originated from VTG Vereinigte Tanklager und Transportmittel GmbH, which was privatized in 1961 in the framework of the sale to Preussag - now the TUI Group. The roots of VTG along with its subsidiaries extend as far back as the 19th century.
During its 45 years of being part of Preussag and later the TUI Group, VTG concentrated on the Wagon Hire business area, but also operated in inland shipping and the tank farm business. By means of various targeted acquisitions and disinvestments, the business operations were oriented towards the following three segments: Wagon Hire, Rail Logistics and Tank Container Logistics.
The main milestones of the company include in particular:
- Foundation of VTG Vereinigte Tanklager und Transportmittel GmbH
- Privatization as part of the sale to Preussag - today TUI-Gruppe
- First Tank Container activities
- VTG takes over the majority of Transpetrol GmbH Internationale Eisenbahnspedition
- Cooperation on TRANSWAGGON AG
- Foundation of VOTG Tanktainer GmbH
- Acquisition of the European Rail Logistics activities of the Australian Brambles Group and thus an expansion of its wagon fleet by approx. 23,000 wagons
- Increased its stake in Transpetrol GmbH Internationale Eisenbahnspedition to 74.9%
- Sale of the Bulk and Special Logistics business unit that was not part of the core business
- Strengthening of the Wagon Hire segment by approx. 6,500 wagons through the acquisition of the rail freight car and tank container fleet of Algeco S.A., Paris, France; as well as the fleets of OMV AG, Vienna, Austria; of Rexwal Finance S.A., Zug, Switzerland; of Railtrans, Cologne, Germany and of Nordwaggon AB, Bromma, Sweden
- Sales of VTG by Tui to Compagnie Européenne de Wagons S.à.r.l.
- Initial public offering (IPO) on June 28, 2007 (Prime Standard, Frankfurt Stock Exchange)
- Acquisition of UK tank container hire company Tankspan Leasing Ltd. with 3,100 tank containers
- Increase in stake in VOTG Tanktainer GmbH from 58.35% to 100%
- Closing of the acquisition of the wagon hire company Texas Railcar Leasing Company Ltd. (1,000 rail freight cars) and entering of the North American rail freight market
- VTG takes over the wagon manufacturing division of the Graaff Group
- Joint venture of VOTG Tanktainer GmbH with the Chinese company Cosco Logistics; Shanghai Cosco VOTG Tanktainer Ltd.
- VTG share is listed on the sub-segment SDAX
- Foundation of "OOO" VTG Russia including a sales office in Moscow
- Acqisition of 1,800 freight wagons and entering of the European grain transport market
- VTG takes over a 100% shareholding of the rail logistics company TMF
- Rail Logistics Division restructured and with unified market approach; focus on three product segments: liquids, agricultural goods and industrial goods
- Doubling of vehicle fleet in North America due to acquisition of the business activities of SC Rail Leasing America; merger with Texas Railcar Leasing and change of name to VTG Rail Inc.
- 60 years of VTG – jubilee, among other things with the exhibition “A look back to the future” at Hamburg headquarters dealing with the past, present and future of the VTG Group
- Purchase of Railcraft group of companies and thus entry into the CIS and Baltic markets with a fleet of about 870 wagons
- Acquisition of vehicle fleet (about 300 mineral oil wagons) from the Italian competitor Sogerent
- Merger of VTG's rail logistics activities with parts of Kuehne + Nagel's rail activities
- Takeover of Ahaus Altstätter Eisenbahn Holding AG (AAE), through which the wagon fleet was expanded by around 30,000 wagons.
- Start of the "VTG RailTrain" training program.
- Takeover of NACCO, wagon fleet grows to more than 90,000.