VTG is convinced that rail transportation is a solution with a future – an attractive solution for constantly growing freight volumes in a globalized world. That is why we plan to make rail the backbone of smart, sustainable logistics. Digital wagons fitted with telematic systems are an essential, integral part of this vision. Logistical processes and maintenance systems can only be optimized from end to end if entire fleets of rolling stock across Europe are digitized. Market leaders are responsible for playing a key role in advancing this development. Which is precisely what we are doing: We are the first company in our industry to digitize our entire fleet of freight cars. Every wagon in our entire European fleet is being fitted with telematic technology.
VTG Connect is a new service from VTG that lets our customers put the data from our digital freight cars to good use. The service establishes tracking and tracing, shock monitoring and environmental temperature measurement as basic functionality for all VTG wagons. For custom-specific applications, VTG Connect can also be connected to individual hardware solutions that add extra functions such as weight measurement and lock monitoring. We are the biggest wagon hire company in Europe, and we provide this service to our customers on demand – giving you the best value for money on the market. VTG Connect keeps you connected to your wagon, your freight and your entire transport chain at all times. The information this places in your hands makes your processes more efficient. In future, we will offer a host of innovative add-on services that use location-based information to simplify rail-based cooperation.
- Impact/shock detection alarm, acceleration +/- 16 g along 3 axes
- Ambient temperature sensor
- Operating temperature range: -40 to +85 °C
- Protection class: IP66/IP67
- Energy harvesting for autonomous operation
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Smart algorithms to minimize power consumption and adapt to environmental conditions
- Licensed for operation in areas that are endangered by the risk of gas/dust explosions pursuant to Directive 2014/34/EU, II 2G Ex ib mb IIC T4 Gb, II 2D Ex ib IIIC T130 °C Db
- Further certifications: CE, DIN EN 62368-1, DIN EN 61373 Category 1, Class A), DIN EN 60529 (IP66/IP67), DIN EN 50121-3-2, DIN EN 50155
The VTG Connector is affixed preferably to the I-beam of the wagon. Solar cells combine with a built-in battery to guarantee a stable power supply.
The wagon’s current position is shown regularly via a GPS receiver. Data is transmitted via the mobile network. During normal operation, the data is updated every five minutes.
Secure (ISO 27001-certified) German data centers receive data packets from the wagons, analyze them and transform the data into useful business information. This is then made available on a protected online portal or via data interfaces.